Friday, September 23, 2011

Being myself, Being a Zumba instructor

Today I met with two amazing women, amazing is a strong word but trust me they fit it.
The owner and Co-owner of Boulder Spirals, originally called DollHouse Pole Studio, recently contacted me about teaching Zumba at their studio. First things that went through my mind, Pole dancing, Torie my best friend, and stereotypical. I wrote emails back and forth and decided to meet the two to talk about my potential job. Through the time it took me to meet them I thought about Torie and how she had taken pole dancing classes at this studio and told me it wasn't your usual (whatever usual is these days) pole dancing. I secondly thought about stereotypes and how I would look to these women.
Now to my experience! When we met I felt totally comfortable for multiple reasons:
1) They are not what you may think of pole dancers....I guess I've always thought of pole dancing as in a strip club. I saw these women and immediately saw strong Boulder women who are both incredible smart and fun.
2) From the moment we met they didn't act like I was just some 20 year old (multiple people and jobs have). They talked to me and asked me questions and let me answer and talk, and I knew that they asked similar questions to everyone. Age came up as it always does but I felt like i could belong, they made me feel that way.
3) I have always in some way or another wanted to be able to really set my mind to something big and reach it. These women wanted a studio and they have it. For me, their vision is inspiring and makes me feel good to be part of it.
4)The fourth reason I felt comfortable was because of the oppertunity to teach Zumba! Something that I've wanted to do to support myself  in my fitness goals but also others. Boulder Spirals and all it holds is giving me the opportunity to do something I love and be myself while doing it.
Zumba for me is so much more then just a fitness class, it has truly become who I am. Whether this part of who i am prospers to become a well know Zumba instructor with her own business or just a Zumba lover I can't tell, but right now I'm happy with where I am. And I am at Boulder Spirals!

No comments:

Post a Comment